GroggyPot - The World of Bizarre Beans...

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

SALARY Review

As a result of the annual salary review cycle which ended last month, most employees have got their salary adjustment letters just before the actual salary going into their respective bank's account end of this month.

I can clearly see some happy and some not-so-happy faces. Funny how these things affect people THAT much. The immediate reactions include higher Internet hit rate on Recruitment sites, online shopping (obviously something to celebrate and time to buy some goodies for the loved one...or could be a reward for one self...like the expensive watch that kept appearing in their dream), and last but not least the instant messengers...to keep friends and family informed of what has happened to their income.

I am equally anxious about mine but for some reason it has lost the 'sense of excitement' probably because I have already knew what to expect being too long in the work force i.e. zero is OK but anything else would be a bonus!....Yes, sad isn't it....when you have been too long in a company and constantly infested with the fear of being replaced by younger (and obviously cheaper) candidate from the street.

Nonetheless, I won't say I am not prepared for the day when the chop will come...it's not the first time and it will not be the last as long as I am still working for someone.

I quite like the idea of playing coach and mentor around these periods as many of the younger peers will seek advices from old fart like me (I am not that old really...just turned 4 big ones but looked like 24 that type of baby face). Almost all these "wise" words revolved around the topics of "fair versus unfair" and "To go or not to go".

Oh well, whom am I kidding...I have my own ass to cover. On one hand, I tried to play saint and persuade people to stay but on the other, I would hint that perhaps a greener pasture awaits on the other end of the rainbow if your personal aspiration moved in tangent with the company's goals.

And then there will be a time when I stopped and think for a moment....What about me? uhmmm, should I change? Or this job is way too comfortable? I will tell you when I finally bite the bullet. Now, get back to your work (if you actually have one).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home