GroggyPot - The World of Bizarre Beans...

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

4th of July "Thugs"

The grandfather clock just struck 12 times as I was watching the Smurfit Open Final day 'Live'. Suddenly, there were like machine guns shooting from all directions. WTF! I thought ... this is not even CNY or any eve of major celebrations.

When I pop my head out of the window, there it was ... beautiful fireworks embraced the otherwise clear and tranquil midnight sky. That must have been at least a solid 15 minutes of majestic fireworks display (probably more magnificent than the government sponsored pyrotechnics exhibit).

Just as I was trying to figure out what seem to be the occasion that warrant spending the thousands of dollar, my eldest boy came into the room and yelled "Happy Independence Day!!!" I was shocked at first but managed to calm down and asked "What do you mean? this is not even August...didn't your teacher teach you about our Independence Day?". He said "No......This is America's Independence Day lah not our own Merdeka Day lah ... silly".

Hmm...that's true .... 4th of July and there is a quite a big American community living at the nearby housing estate. No wonder they are celebrating like 12 hours ahead of their fellow Americans back home in the states.

"How do you know that?" I asked again. "I read it from Mum's phone just now and Mum told me tomorrow is America's Independence Day...someone sent her a SMS ...blaa ..blaa ... blaa and let me knw if u r off 2moro, it's Independence Day! Thks" He was quoting each word of the message presumably acronym from the SMS ending with "thugs". I thought for a short while and replied " Son, it is not THUGS....it's 'Thanks' in short....people trying to save the keystrokes in the SMS messages hence, 'thks' is actually 'thanks'....got it?"

"Ohhhh...no wonder....there are so many words that I can't even pronounce...like 'IMHO', 'ahole', 'lol', 'l8r' ....".

A word of advice, put away you phone or at least keypad lock it ... otherwise, you never know how will your younger children use those new language that they have learned from the SMS messages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home